Monday, July 6, 2009

Thing #9- Exploring Flickr


I have used Flickr before to find images for picture cards to use in my classroom but have never taken the time to create an account and explore all the possibilities Flickr has to offer in the classroom. I particularly liked how you can browse Creative Commons images because it allows you to only search content that is fair use in the classroom.

I decided to search for images relating to tropical rainforests. Each year in third grade, we study rainforests in correlation with our life science FOSS kit and Earth Day. This is one of my favorite units because the kids are so engaged and excited to learn and I always enjoy incorporating the theme throughout the day. I was able to find so many amazing rainforest images on Flickr. This adorable image of my favorite rainforest animal, the three-toed sloth, was uploaded by flickrfavorites.

I never realized all the educational uses for Flickr in the classroom. My favorite idea was about teaching vocabulary using Flickr where students search images on Flickr to find pictures associated with their vocabulary words. Students can find pictures tagged to their words, create slideshows, and post them on their class blogs. I also really liked the idea of giving them words similar in meaning and then having students find pictures of the words to discover the difference; such as toddle, wander, stroll, stride, march, etc. What an engaging way for students to learn vocabulary through exploration.

1 comment:

  1. great post! I can tell that you will be using Flickr in your classroom in the future!

    ReplyDelete